How to Connect to a VPS with SSH (Windows,OS X,Linux) Print this Article
There are 2 primary ways to connec to a Linux VPS. The first is via command line, with the use of a SSH client. To connect to your VPS with SSH (command line), you will require one of the following programs:
- Putty, available for all versions of Windows: Putty Downloads (Hosted by SolVPS)
- WinSCP, available for all versions of Windows: WinSCP Downloads (Hosted by SolVPS)
- Terminal.app, packaged with all versions of Mac OS X.
- Your favorite shell/terminal application for Linux.
After launching Putty, WinSCP, or opening your shell terminal, the program will require VPS login credentials:
- IP Address / Host: [Supplied in your "New Server Information" email, and also available in Manage Products/Services.]
- User Name: root
- Password: [Supplied in your "New Server Information" email.]
- SSH Port: 22
On OS X and Linux, this information is entered into the command line using the ssh command in the following format, where "x.x.x.x" is the server's IP address and "22" is the SSH port number:
ssh firstname.lastname@example.org -p 22
You can now enter commands at the command line, according to your needs. Have fun!
Was this answer helpful?
Simply access our VPS as the root user (SSH), and execute the following commands: wget...
To reinstall your VPS: Log in to the VPS Panel at: https://panel.solvps.com/ Select your...
To reboot your VPS: Log in to the VPS Panel at: https://panel.solvps.com/ Select your VPS...
LiteSpeed Web Server is a high-performance web server that is an alternative to Apache, yet fully...
If you chose to install cPanel/WHM on your VPS, you can log in to the WHM control panel interface...